Sildenafil is a cost-effective treatment for erectile dysfunction (ED). It contains the same active ingredient as Viagra and is a popular choice of ED treatment. You can safely buy sildenafil tablets online from our UK registered pharmacy, after you complete a medical questionnaire. This will determine whether it is safe for us to prescribe you with treatment. Orders placed before 3pm are dispatched using a next day delivery service.
What is Sildenafil?
Sildenafil is used for treating impotence, also known as erectile dysfunction. It contains the same active ingredient as Viagra, but it is the non-branded version that is available for a much cheaper price. When you take sildenafil, you may experience:
- Erections that are hard enough for sexual activity
- Erections that are maintained for a longer period
- The ability to achieve an erection easily
How does Sildenafil work?
Sildenafil works by allowing the blood vessels in your penis to relax. This allows blood to enter, resulting in an erection.
When you are sexually aroused, a chemical messenger known as cGMP is released into the smooth muscle of the penis, allowing for an influx of blood. This causes an erection. An enzyme known as PDE5 breaks down cGMP. Sildenafil blocks the action of PDE5 so that blood can enter the penis and help to achieve and maintain an erection.
Sildenafil will not cause sexual stimulation and cannot increase your sex drive. For sildenafil to work, you must be sexually excited.
What dose should I take?
The starting dose for sildenafil is 50mg to be taken 30-60 minutes before sexual activity. If you are experiencing any side-effects such as a headache, you should try a lower dose of 25mg. If you find that the 50mg tablet isn’t giving you the desirable effects, you can try taking the 100mg dose. Our clinicians recommend trying the same dose on eight separate occasions before you increase or decrease the dose. This is so that your body can adapt accordingly and get used to the tablet.
How long does it take for Sildenafil to take effect?
Sildenafil tablets take around 30-60minutes to take effect. Sildenafil is most effective when taken on an empty stomach, as it acts quicker this way.
How long does Sildenafil last?
The effects of sildenafil can last for up to 4 hours on average. This time frame may vary depending on certain factors. This can include whether you have consumed a meal beforehand, how your body metabolises medication, your weight and the dose you take. Other factors such as your age, medication you take, your general health and your state of mind can also affect how long the effects can last.
How often should Sildenafil be taken?
You can take sildenafil tablets around 1 hour before sexual activity. The maximum strength of tablets is 100mg. You should not take more than 1 tablet daily
Is Sildenafil safe to take?
The tablets are safe to use if they have been prescribed appropriately. You can buy sildenafil tablets online after completing an online medical questionnaire. This will allow our pharmacists to determine whether the treatment is safe for you.
Who should not take Sildenafil?
You should not take sildenafil tablets if you have any of the following:
- An allergy to sildenafil or any of the ingredients contained in the tablet
- Recent issues with your heart such as a heart attack or stroke
- Low blood pressure
- Sickle-cell anaemia, an abnormality of your red blood cells.
- Liver or kidney problem
- Problems with your eyes (not including poor vision such which requires correcting with glasses)
- Leukaemia, cancer of the blood
- Bone marrow cancer
- An anatomical deformation of the penis
- Bleeding disorders
- Stomach ulcers
You may be eligible for treatment, but you should speak to your doctor beforehand.
Interactions with other medication?
Sildenafil can interact with certain medication, especially those that are used to relieve chest pain. The following medication should not be taken with sildenafil:
- Nitrates, including medication used to treat angina, as well as "poppers". Taking sildenafil with these drugs can cause your blood pressure to fall to a dangerously low level
- Medication used to treat HIV. If you wish to use sildenafil, this should be done under the supervision of a doctor. They may want to start you off on the lowest dose of sildenafil and monitor you
- Alpha blockers used to treat high blood pressure or an enlarged prostate. Taking sildenafil with alpha blockers can cause what is known as postural hypotension. This is where you experience a sudden drop in your blood pressure when sitting or standing quickly. Your doctor can advise you on whether sildenafil is safe to use, based on you blood pressure readings and the dose you are taking.
If you are taking any of the following, you may still be eligible to use sildenafil tablets, but you should visit your GP as you may need an assessment before it can safely be prescribed:
- Any antiarrhythmics
- Antiepileptics such as carbamazepine, fosphenytoin, phenobarbital, phenytoin, primidone
- Antifungals such as ketoconazole, itraconazole, voriconazole
- Calcium Channel Blockers such as diltiazem, verapamil
- Crizotinib, enzalutamide, imatinib, nilotinib, idelalisib used in the treatment of cancer
- The following antibiotics: erythromycin, clarithromycin, rifampicin
- Netupitant or aprepitant used as anti-sickness drugs
- Nicorandil used to treat angina
- Any recreational drugs
- St John’s Wort
What if it is not working for me?
If sildenafil tablets have not worked for you the first time, you should continue to take the tablets. Your body needs time to adapt, and you should continue to take the tablets on eight separate occasions before increasing your dose or trying another treatment. It is important to realise that although sildenafil has an extremely high success rate, it may not work for every person. There are alternative erectile dysfunction treatments such as tadalafil or avanafil which are effective.
Is Sildenafil the same as Viagra?
Viagra and sildenafil both contain the same active ingredient, sildenafil citrate. This means that they both work on the body in the same way and have the same effect. Pfizer developed Viagra in 1996, holding the patent (exclusive rights) for it. Once the patent expired, it gave an opportunity for other pharmaceutical companies to start manufacturing sildenafil as a non-branded medication. Most people who have taken Viagra will eventually turn to sildenafil, as it is a cost-effective option that provides the same results.
Can I buy Sildenafil without a prescription?
You need a prescription to buy sildenafil. Online pharmacies such as Chemist Click can provide a prescription after you have completed a medical assessment. Alternatively, you can visit your doctor who may be able to issue you with a prescription. You will need to take that to a pharmacy to have it dispensed. You can also buy Viagra Connect without a prescription from your local pharmacy. You will need to have a consultation with a pharmacist to ensure that treatment is safe for you.